Monday, July 11, 2005

No Cake, No Gift, One Question

It's one year today since this blog first appeared, and to celebrate the anniversary, I have a question: Why do we continue to listen to our old records, and/or attend concerts by the people who recorded them?

I'm thinking about this myself at the moment, and may have more to say about it later, but I hate to think alone. So how would you answer that question? Use the Comments link here, or send a private e-mail to the address on the right side of this page.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a good answer for this, but I have one idea that I think is essential to consider in the discussion: What do people do when they listen to their favorite records and go to concerts? They sing along.

Many of them sing so loudly you have to wonder if they can hear the music at all. But something about our favorite tunes sweeps us along and makes us feel like we're partners in the creative act. It connects us to the glory of what it must have been like to be in the Beatles, for example.

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess one way to answer that one is that we like to surround ourselves with things that are a comfort to us. Since we think of it as "our music," it becomes a part of us. The music doesn't necessarily have to old as I happen to like some songs from the Dave Matthews Band and Sheryl Crow...along with Boston and Foreigner from the 70's and Huey Lewis and John Mellencamp from the 80's. However, don't you just hate it when someone does a terrbile cover version of favorite song of yours?

I could also bring up neophillic and neophobic listeners...but that's a whole other lesson only JB can do justice to. ---Shark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home