Sunday, October 09, 2005

Another Great Moment in the History of Background Music

I have written previously about the convenience store in my neighborhood, which tends to play 60s and 70s oldies on its piped-in music system, but which surprised me one fine morning by playing James Brown's "Sex Machine." Well, they've built a new location in my neighborhood, and when I stopped by the other day, I realized that I was hearing Willie Dixon's "I Ain't Superstitious," as recorded by the Jeff Beck Group--a seriously loud electric blues number featuring the young Rod Stewart on vocals. As the All Music Guide's Joe Viglione observes, the incarnation of the Jeff Beck Group that recorded "I Ain't Superstitious" was Led Zeppelin's biggest potential rival in the late 1960s. And it's unlikely that you'd hear them on your local good-times, great-oldies station, either. So it seems that somebody at the background-music company, perhaps the same somebody who programmed "Sex Machine," has either a sense of humor or a wicked blues/funk jones.

We can only hope.

Then I went back yesterday, and the place was rockin' with Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little Sister." Pretty incongruous, really, given that the place was, at that moment, full of suburban moms stopping by for coffee. And even more so when you consider that a significant percentage of them probably popped out a Celine Dion CD before turning off the engine in the SUV. I'm sure that Celine's music has its purposes, but getting one's mojo workin' probably isn't high on the list.

I'd like to think my mojo is always workin', but I'm taking some time off to get it tuned up. Back Friday.

5 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger davewillie said...

Had John Lennon lived, he would have celebrated his 65th birthday on Sunday.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There ain't nothing like listening to some REAL music. My wife was gone for a few hours the other night, so I decided to put the headphones on and re-discover some music from my album collection. (Yes!...vinyl...on a turntable!) This is what I listened to:
1) "Look Sharp" -Joe Jackson
("you gotta have no illusions..")
2) "Like You Do" -REO Speedwagon
(they were JAMMIN'!)
3) "Meal Ticket" -Elton John
(from Captain Fantastic)
4) "Hot Love, Cold World" -
-Bob Welch
("we both can't be wrong, I must
be right")
You will NEVER hear any of these songs on the radio, which is too bad because they kick the shit out of anything Celine Dion can warble on about. ---Shark

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Scott Fish said...

I am interested in trading or purchasing a Text link on your website.

By trading links, we can help eachother's websites get more traffic and rank better in the Search Engines.
I would highly recommend doing this, as Back Links to your website are very important to Google, Yahoo, MSN..etc..

I have 2 sites which are available to place your link on:
www.TopSatelliteRadio.com PR4 Receives about 300-400 unique per day
www.LiveSatelliteRadio.com PR3 Receives about 200-250 unique per day

I do have some space available on my websites to trade links with you
and since our sites are related, I would be willing to trade links.

Lets trade links!

Send me your Website name, URL and a short description and I will put up a link ASAP!

My details are as follows:

Title(s) - choose one:
Sirius Satellite Radio Portable
Satellite Radio Receiver
Portable Satellite Radio XM

URL: www.topsatelliteradio.com

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Joe Vig's First Impressions said...

Hey, thanks for referencing my review on AMG!
best
rock journalist joe viglione
http://joevigtop40.blogspot.com

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Joe Vig's First Impressions said...

Hey,
thanks for referencing my review of Jeff Beck Group from AMG

best

rock journalist joe viglione
http://joevigtop40.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home