Sunday, August 20, 2006

You Didn't Have to Be There

This past week, Pitchfork unveiled its list of the 200 Greatest Songs of the 1960s. The writers say that the list is made up of "the 200 songs that most resonate with a generation too young to have experienced the decade firsthand, but old enough to know it had more to offer than '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.'" (Technically, that generation includes me, given that I didn't start listening to the radio until 1970--but I my guess is that many of the Pitchfork folks were born in 1970 or later.) I was going to try listing a few of the tunes that caught my eye as particularly interesting choices, but there are too many, so you'll have to read it yourself. If you don't have time (and you may not, as it's a l-o-o-o-n-g set of clicks), the blog Heartache With Hard Work (whose template you may find familiar) comments on the list as a whole, rightfully noting that the stuff at the top is somewhat predictable. Only somewhat, however. A few of the tracks at the top are surprising enough to make you think twice about how you remember the 1960s.

Also from the music blogs: If you are a Fleetwood Mac fan, get thyself over to the mighty Jefitoblog for some outtakes from Rumours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home