Friday, September 29, 2006

This Is Not a Very Good Blog, Really

I'd like to welcome readers who've found their way here from the Classic Rock page at About.com. I've been on Dave White's blogroll over there for a while, and yesterday he was kind enough to link to last Friday's Top 5, which spotlighted some of the more obscure artists getting radio play 40 years ago this week. That brought lots of people over here, and I surely appreciate all those eyeballs.

You're probably expecting to read some sort of chart feature here today, given that it's Friday and all. And I confess, I've been poking around all afternoon for a likely chart to feature. We're into autumn, so it ought to be easy to find a chart from '74, '75, or '76 to talk about. But I'm just not into it today.

I don't know why. It's gray and cold out my window, but that's never a problem in the fall--it's a good and necessary part of the season's emotional landscape. Certainly the news is depressing. It took the Western world until the year 1215 to enshrine the right of habeas corpus in the Magna Carta, and one day in the United States Senate 791 years later to give it away, but music is supposed to be the escape from that. (There's a reason why I blog here more often than from my current-events perch at Best of the Blogs.) I had a pretty good week, really, although our weekend plans went sideways this afternoon when the friends we've been trying to get up here for several years had to cancel at the last minute with a sick kid. But we'll still be heading for a local beer festival tomorrow, albeit with a slightly smaller group, to sample the best of 30 Midwestern microbreweries. So what's not to like today?

I have no idea. But whatever the reason, this is not a normal Friday. Here's a couple of tunes to make it up to you for wasting your time by reading this far. (I intended for there to be more, but every upload site I try this afternoon is FUBAR in some way, so I'm quitting at two.)

"Then He Kissed Me"/The Crystals (buy it)
"Love and Loneliness"/The Motors (buy it)

3 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger WZJN said...

An absolute scorcher of a song, and for me, in the elite top ten of all songs from the 80's. "Love And Lonliness" perfectly captures the mood of lost love and the ensuing regret without turning schmaltzy for lack of articulation.

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Bar L. said...

Oh, are you saying I should not read or link to this blog since it's not very good? But I like it!!!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger jabartlett said...

Thank you, Layla. It's just not very good today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home