Friday, December 08, 2006

Uniquely Geeky

I have been deep into the music from December 1971 this week. Late '71 is another of my favorite musical seasons--by then, I'd seen my first year around as a Top 40 listener, and I'd known for most of that year that I was going to be a radio guy when I grew up. The season was made more magical by the fact that I was an 11-year-old boy looking forward to Christmas--although I was looking forward to one part of it in my uniquely geeky fashion. I knew that my favorite radio station, WLS from Chicago, would be doing its Holiday Festival of Music on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and I remembered how much I had loved it the year before. I hoped it would be that way again. (In other words: At age 11, I was nostalgic for something that had happened when I was 10.)

The WLS chart from this week in 1971 is a time-traveler's delight. So much so, in fact, that I couldn't be satisfied with writing about five or 10 of the songs, and posting only one or two. Thus, it's podcast time, featuring five of the hits from that week's chart. Which five? For me to know and you to find out, baby.

Recommended Listening: Today's the anniversary of John Lennon's murder. Leaky Sparrow has posted an aircheck from WCBS in New York with reports from that night. At WFMU's Beware of the Blog, there's much, much more from the radio dial the night Lennon died. (And also here.) And at Davewillieradio, there's an eclectic (and recommended) hour of hits, from the 60, 70s, and 80s.

(This post has been edited slightly since it first appeared.)

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug. The music probably is a bit eclectic. Wait 'til I do a country music show.

Right now you can catch my Christmas cast. Listen for the Foghat Christmas tune. That one's for our friend Homercat. :)

Davewillie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home