Tuesday, February 07, 2006

One Fine Night in Iowa

During the full-time part of my radio career, I spent nearly 12 years going town to town, up and down the dial. During the last year I decided that my career wasn't all that successful. Yes, I'd had a lot of fun and done some good work, but I was still toiling in obscurity and tired of the small-market grind. So, in 1994, I left radio to go back to college and start on another career.

I didn't stay out for long. After six months, I got back on the air part-time. Then the station that had hired me flipped to classic rock--and didn't fire me. For the next two years, I had the most fun I'd ever had on the radio, and did my best work, too. By 1997, in many ways, I'd finally become the jock I'd always wanted to be--just as I finished college and was getting ready to quit the station and move to another city.

So it's been over eight years now since I've done a DJ show on radio. Every so often I miss it, and I think that I'd like to get back into it. This blog was created, at least in part, to keep those thoughts at bay. So far, it's helped me feed the jones.

Every now and then a reader of this blog says they'd like to hear what I sounded like on the radio. OK, then. This is me, recorded sometime during the summer of 1996 at classic rocker Q106.5 in Davenport, Iowa. I'm filling in on the 9PM-2AM shift, and this is the after-midnight portion. We did a fairly uptempo presentation there compared to a lot of classic rockers, and I like this aircheck because I get to talk over some intros, just like in the Classic Top 40 days of yore. (Be patient--it takes a few seconds for the audio to start once you get to Upload2.com.)

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your aircheck is a very good one of you doing a "music radio" show. If I were a Program Director I'd hire you on the spot. What is interesting is that most programmers preach about wanting jocks who are multi-dimensional, yet when it comes to airchecks, all they want is 2 to 3 minutes of front-announcing and back announcing songs. ---Shark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home