Monday, April 24, 2006

Two of Us

Thirty years ago tonight, Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels did his famous on-air bit inviting the Beatles to reunite on the show for $3,000. Nobody knew then that Paul McCartney and John Lennon were watching the show at Lennon's apartment in the Dakota--or that for a few minutes, they discussed grabbing a cab and heading to the studio. (The incident was dramatized/fictionalized for a TV movie made in 2000 called Two of Us.)

I don't remember whether I was watching SNL on that particular night--it may have been the next year before the show crept into high-school consciousness where I lived. I'd like to think I was, though, because it makes for an attractive memory: upstairs in my room, late at night, the house is quiet, the windows are open with a spring breeze bringing sounds of the farm in from outside, and the old black-and-white TV lights up the room. (That particular set was one of my oldest and dearest childhood friends. My parents bought it for the basement when I was maybe 10, and it survived long enough to take its place in my first post-college apartment.)

In the end, John and Paul reacted just like regular people often do when confronted with one of those late-night, wild-hair, wouldn't-it-be-something-if-we-did-it opportunities--they decided they were too tired to actually do it. That's reassuring, in a way. Not so much that they could be a lot like us, but that we could be a lot like them.

1 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I recall, in November 1976, George Harrison appeared on Saturday Night Live with Eric Idle in music video performances of "This Song" and "Crackerbox Palace" which, to me, seemed like the very first music videos ever made. ---Shark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home