Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dan Fogelberg Gives New Meaning to the Term "Blue Christmas"

Just checking in quickly here with a few things . . . first, if you're a boomer, then you need to take a moment today to remember cartoon producer Joseph Barbera, who died yesterday at age 95. Barbera and his partner William Hanna created and produced several of the most iconic kids' TV shows of all time, including The Flintstones, Josie and the Pussycats, and The Jetsons, as well as characters such as Scooby-Doo, Huckleberry Hound, and Yogi Bear. Domino Rally has a fun musical tribute.

Second, if you've never heard Simon and Garfunkel's chilling "7 O'Clock News/Silent Night," check it out over at Heartache With Hard Work. You couldn't ask for a more pointed commentary on American life at Christmastime--and even though it was recorded 40 years ago, murderers are still getting famous, people are still demanding their rights and not getting them, and political leaders are still telling us that dissent is wrong.

Third, at Jefitoblog, the ninth day of Mellowmas yaks up the hairball that is Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne." (I was going to steal the alternate title that the guys came up with for the song, but it's too good--you'll just have to read the post.) Almost exactly one year ago, I ripped it bigtime myself and said that I was prepared to hate anyone who didn't hate it as much as I do. Jason, Jeff: I love you guys.

And finally, our Christmas 2006 podcast is up. It's 27 minutes of holiday goodness, old and new. Let me know what you think of it.

This isn't the last post before Christmas--I'll be back.

3 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was thinking about including "Same Old Lang Syne" as part of Mellowmas, I came across your original post. Your hatred inspired me. I have to admit it was really hard not to be influenced by your astute comments when talking over the song with Jeff. I had to remind myself not to steal.

But shame on you. The man has cancer, for chrissakes.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a fan of the music of Dan Fogelberg for 30+years. We fans who treasure his music totally "get it" unlike some of the younger generations. I understand that's your opinion, and I have mine and since you went into such a tirade over one song, I felt the need to comment. And, BTW, the "liquor store" was actually a convenience store, so, yes, the liquor was purchased there. Personally, I am thankful for the various genres of music Fogelberg has given his fans. He is much more than those few radio hits.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in 6 different counties in three states in the 25+ years of my adult life, all in the Midwest. In none of those communities could convenient stores/gas stations sell alcohol after 9pm.

So, jb's comment about buying alcohol from anywhere after bartime made total sense to me.

I'm just saying...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home