Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Forgotten 45s: The First Year

Last February, we launched a feature on this blog called "Forgotten 45." It's nothing especially original--I'll hear or remember something that, by my subjective evaluation, doesn't seem to be heard much anymore or especially well remembered, and I'll write a brief squib about it on the blog, along with the pertinent chart information. But it occurs to me that just reading about these songs is not enough. You need to hear them, too. (Damn, am I hip to the way things ought to be, or what?)

And so, I'm happy to present my first-ever podcast, featuring five favorite Forgotten 45s from the past year. It runs about 18 minutes and contains only music--it has neither snappy DJ patter nor bitchin' production effects, although future podcasts likely will. Like other bloggers who post MP3 files on their sites, I do so here without the permission of the copyright holders, which means I will not only be happy but also legally obligated to remove them if anyone's lawyer objects. I hope, that if you like these tunes, you'll go out and buy them, or download them from one of the online music stores. Also, be sure to watch--and listen--for future Forgotten 45s, coming soon.

Oh--one other thing. I suppose I could give you a playlist for the show, and include links to the original Forgotten 45 posts about the songs, but that would take some of the fun out of listening to it. So if you want the list, or have any questions about the songs, leave a comment or send me an e-mail at the address on the right. (Here's a hint: the original posts appeared in February, June, July, and November 2005, and January 2006.)

(Thanks for technical advice and encouragement are due to Dave P. at Poolside Jazz and Jason Stone, a.k.a. the Stepfather of Soul.)

3 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger The Stepfather of Soul said...

Great job on the podcast! Look forward to future ones! Glad I was able to help.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Strawberry Letter 23" is such a great song. You are a fine, fine man for including it in your podcast. ---Shark

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Cool. Similar idea to my blog- lostmelodies.com. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home